Bagels on keto? Absolutely! These tasty bagels are definitely a game changer!
Once you’ve perfected this recipe, the possibilities are truly endless! They are great with cream cheese and a bulletproof coffee for breakfast. You can actually pack a sandwich for work again!
Yes, we said sandwich on keto! We’ve used them as burger buns for dinner and my husband’s favorite is a bacon, egg, and cheese sandwich on an everything keto bagel!
Here are some tips for making perfect keto bagels:
Begin by lining a baking sheet with parchment paper, this is very important as you do not want your bagels to stick to the pan. You can also use a silicon mat, sprayed with cooking spray.
Next, make sure all ingredients are fully incorporated into the dough. You want the dough to look like regular bread dough, with no chunks of unincorporated ingredients.
I suggest using wet or lightly oiled hands to knead the dough until you achieve this texture, stirring alone will not get you there.
The xanthan gum acts as a stabilizer and thickener. This will give your bagels a nice texture, close to a regular bagel. The baking powder is a leavener, causing the bagels to rise nice and puffy in the oven.
If your bagels are not rising properly, make sure your baking powder is super fresh, over time it loses its effectiveness. You can also try chilling the dough for 30 minutes prior to baking.
We find the best way to form the bagel shape is to roll the dough into a ball and poke a hole in the middle with your finger. This makes a much better shape than rolling a long rope and connecting the ends, as we’ve seen in other recipes.
You can always skip this part to make rolls or hamburger buns. If you feel your bagels are not cooking through, you can cover them with foil once the tops have browned and bake a few more minutes.
Lastly, don’t be afraid to get creative! You can add in your favorite seasoning, like Italian seasoning, garlic, onion, or even cinnamon! Topping with a little parmesan or asiago cheese before popping them in the oven is also an excellent choice!
Too Good to Be True KETO Bagels
Serving size: 1 bagel
Prep time: 10-15 min
Bake time: 12-15 min
- 1 ½ cup almond flour
- 1 tbsp gluten-free baking powder
- ½ tsp xanthan gum
- 2 ½ cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 3 oz cream cheese, cubed
- 2 large free-range eggs, beaten
- Everything Bagel Seasoning
- 1 egg, beaten, for egg wash
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine the shredded mozzarella and cubed cream cheese in a large bowl. Microwave for 2 minutes, stirring halfway through. Stir again at the end until well incorporated.
- Combine the almond flour, baking powder, and xanthan gum in a separate bowl. Add beaten egg to flour mixture.
- Add the cheese mixture to the flour mixture. Stir as best you can.
- Begin kneading the dough by first dipping your hands in water, to prevent dough from sticking to hands. Continue kneading until all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Divide dough into six equal parts. Shape parts into balls, then poke a hole in the middle to form a bagel shape.
- Place bagels on parchment paper. Brush with egg wash (just one beaten egg) and top with Everything Bagel seasoning or keto toppings of your choice.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes in a 400°F oven.