It's no secret that eggs are a powerhouse of nutrition. They're affordable, quick and easy, yet we can often lose interest and get bored.
At Konscious Keto, we wanted to tackle this problem head-on and thought about what we can do to get you excited about these keto bombs?
Eggs have a near perfect keto macronutrient profile and are a simple and yummy way to get more fat into your day.
Our chefs came up with this ham and gruyere casserole that's as delicious for dinner as it is for breakfast. You can switch up the serving dish to make this a simple fat bomb recipe.
Or you can style it as a traditional casserole and slice it up for the whole family to enjoy. Either way, we bet this one will become a family favorite.
However, a word of warning - your eyes may be bigger than your belly! As this is a high-fat treat, we recommend serving with a yummy side salad. Anything else may be too filling.
So, if you have an appetite and are looking for something quick, easy, delicious and affordable, boy did you come to the right place!
And if you came here just looking for the answer on how to use up your eggs, let's find out how to get started.
Ham & Gruyere KETO Casserole
This versatile one-dish wonder is the perfect option for any meal of the day. The flavor-packed crust uses coconut flour and parmesan for added texture and the filling combines cheddar, spinach, and ham for hearty flavor.
You can swap out the cheeses with any that are available to you, and even omit the ham for a delicious veggie keto dish. The options are limitless.
Our chefs and editors hope you will be thrilled with this one and turn to it regularly for inspiration!
Preheat the oven to 400˚F.
For the Crust:
- 4 cups celery root, peeled and shredded
- 4 tbsp butter, melted
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp olive oil
For the Filling:
- 6 organic eggs
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ¾ cup unsweetened almond milk
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ cup chopped spinach
- 2 cups ham, chopped
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- For the crust, combine the crust ingredients in a medium-sized bowl and mix well. Press mixture firmly and evenly into a 9 x 9 baking dish, going up the sides at least 2 inches. Bake/for 20 minutes or until slightly golden brown.
- Remove and reduce oven heat to 350˚F.
- For the filling, beat the eggs in a large bowl and add the cream, almond milk, nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Stir in the spinach.
- Spread the ham and cheese evenly over the par-baked crust in the bottom of the pan. Gently pour the egg mixture over the ham and cheese.
- Bake the casserole at 350˚F for 60 minutes or until the middle is set and doesn’t jiggle when shaken.
- Cool for 10 minutes before cutting.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 90 minutes
Makes: 9 servings
Serving Size: 3x3 inch square
Macros: Calories: 386 | Net Carbs: 7g | Fat: 28g
One of the reasons we love this dish so much (in addition to being so easy to make) is that you can make it ahead of time.
It stores well in the fridge, and you can take it with you on the road when baked into solo portions.
We love to use individual ramekins to portion these out for meal prep as they make a super delicious breakfast.
Simply reheat for 30 seconds to the 1 minute in the microwave (or as needed) and serve with some really yummy keto coffee.
This can help curb cravings throughout the day, and while it might seem counter-intuitive to eat more to lose more weight; this is called living the keto dream.
We promise the more fat you eat, the better you will feel, and that is all your body needs to step up and make the changes for you. Don't forget to share a photo of this recipe in our Facebook group if you give it a try.
Or, better yet, share your variations on this ham & gruyere keto casserole to help inspire other people on their journey!