This casserole combines all the delicious flavors of a loaded baked potato-minus the potato and its carbs! Cauliflower is a great stand-in for more carb heavy veggies in keto cooking.
Begin by chopping the cauliflower into bite-sized pieces. You don’t want large florets, or “riced” cauliflower, but something in between. However, chopping cauliflower does result in some “crumbs,” and it is okay to throw those in as well.
Next, steam the cauliflower either in boiling water or the microwave. Be sure to check your cauliflower every few minutes; you don’t want to overcook at this stage, as it will cook in the oven as well.
When your cauliflower is perfectly “al dente,” drain completely. You want to remove as much water as possible. You could lay the cauliflower on paper towels or kitchen cloths, to get out some extra moisture as well.
We find a hand mixer to be very handy in combining the cheese and creams. I see some recipes that look “chunky.” The hand mixer does a good job of making sure everything is fully incorporated.
Bake your casserole until the top is nice and golden. We find it is best to overcook slightly rather than undercook in this case.
The cheesy golden crust is fabulous! This is a delicious keto side dish to any chicken, steak, or fish entree.
Golden KETO Cauliflower Bake
Prep time: 10 min.
Cook time: 30 min.
- 1 head of cauliflower, chopped
- 12 oz shredded sharp cheddar cheese (divided into 8 oz. and 4 oz.)
- 4 oz cream cheese
- ¼ cup of heavy cream
- ½ cup of sour cream
- 10-12 bacon slices, cooked and crumbled (divided into 6-8 and 4-6 slices
- 1 ½ cup scallions, chopped (divided into 1 cup plus 1/2 cup)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Steam cauliflower for five minutes or until tender.
- With a hand mixer, mix 8 oz. cheddar, cream cheese, heavy cream, and sour cream in a bowl.
- Add 6-8 slices crumbled bacon, 1 cup scallions, and garlic to the creamed mixture. Mix everything into cauliflower. Top with remaining cheese and bacon. Pour into a baking pan prepped with cooking spray. Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove foil continue baking for 5-10 minutes or until ready and bubbling. Top with the remaining ½ cup of scallions. Enjoy!