Eating in a mixed dietary household can prove challenging. Your spouse is eating Whole30, you're lucky if the kids will eat anything but chicken fingers and fries, and you are eating keto but may find yourself eating more packaged foods than ever out of sheer convenience.
Our time is limited, and anything we give it to must provide a significant return. Fortunately, although everyone in your household is likely on a different diet, it is possible to satisfy everyone with keto-friendly fare so you can feed the entire home team and remain sane.
While the taste for some when it comes to specific foods may take a little acquiring, there are many meals that the entire family will love.
The great news is that there are so many low-carb recipes that will thrill even the most particular person—filled with fabulous flavor and dense nutrition.
If you're looking for quick and easy meals for your family, whether they're eating an entirely ketogenic diet or are just fans of keto recipes, this article is for you.
Although each of your family members' tastes may vary, some delicious options can convert even the pickiest eaters. Plus, we'll share meal options for any time of day below that are sure to win over the troops, although we must admit we're partial and huge fans of eating "breakfast" for "dinner."
Here are some of our favorite recipes to share with the family and get compliments from everyone while living in a mixed dietary household. For all of you who are ready to hang up your job as a short-order cook, especially with everyone home together right now, try making these for the entire family:
Plus, here are some additional keto breakfast meal ideas that are perfect for those living in a mixed dietary household that will help keep carbs low:
- Keto Cereal (e.g., homemade, HighKey brand, or Magic Spoon)
- Keto Sausage Breakfast Sandwich (think of an inverted breakfast sandwich without bread and sausage patties in place of buns
- Cabbage Hash Browns
- Konscious Keto Shake
- Omelet Stuffed Peppers
- Ham & Cheese Egg Cups
- Ham & Cheese Breakfast Roll-Ups
- Bacon Egg and Cheese Roll-Ups
- Cloud Eggs
- Bunless Bacon, Egg & Cheese
- Baked Egg Avocado Boats
- Cauliflower Benedict
- French Omelet
- Feta Frittata
- Homemade Sage Sausage Patties
- Ham & Feta Omelet
- Zucchini & Gouda Skillet Frittata
- Eggs Florentine Casserole
- Spinach-Mushroom Scrambled Eggs
- Cheesy Chive Omelet
- Zucchini Frittata
- Three-Cheese Quiche
- Goat Cheese & Ham Omelet
Again, we are flexible about eating certain meals at particular times of day, but for the sake of the article, here are some lunch options that the entire family will enjoy.
Although there is a lot of variety when it comes to keto-friendly meals to make if cooking for a mixed-dietary household, this first option and the other recipes that follow below should be perfect for dinnertime noshing for the entire family:
- Super Creamy Strawberry Fat Bombs
- Keto German Chocolate Cake
- Keto Cheesecake Fat Bombs
- Keto Cookies
- Ultimate Chocolate PB Cheesecake Fat Bombs
- Konscious Keto Chocolate Peanut Butter Brownies
- Keto Chocolate Soufflé
- Keto Vanilla Cupcakes & Buttercream Icing
- Mini Keto Velvet Cheesecake
- Keto Apple Spice Donuts
- Avocado Keto Chocolate Pudding
- Keto Pumpkin Pie
- 1-minute Konscious Keto Strawberry Shortcake
- Keto Activate Holiday Fudge
- Irresistible Keto Molten Chocolate Lava Cake
- Keto Mousse (4 Ways)
- Irresistibly Fudgy Keto Brownies
- Dippin Keto Strawberries
- Love My Lemon Keto Pound Cake
Although the family may still want to eat higher-carb fare, you'll be able to cut down on making multiple meals each night by sliding in some of the recipes mentioned above.
Also, getting the family involved while preparing meals is a great way to engage everyone in adding extra love to each meal. Kids love to help with cooking and are often more likely to try the dish if they had a hand in making it.
The recipes we've shared are a great jumping-off point if you're looking to make mostly keto meals and live in a mixed dietary household, but here are some additional tips to keep in mind as you seek to eat low-carb and get the entire crew on-board:
- There are so many keto-friendly bread and pasta brands available now. Many are so much like the high-carb counterparts that they can fool even the most discerning eater.
- Recreate your family's favorites with some delicious keto-friendly swaps. For example, experiment with cauliflower or zucchini in place of potatoes to create a keto-friendly breakfast hash.
- Use keto-friendly sweeteners like stevia or monk fruit to defeat your family's sweet tooth while avoiding sugar and glucose spikes.
- Keep low-carb snacks on-hand to enjoy instead of reaching for high-carb foods. Keto friendly Nuts, berries, or cheese stickers are sure to please the entire family.
- Focus on making meals filled with healthy fats, like coconut oil or ghee, to satiate your family and make them want to try new delicious keto recipes.
- Get the family involved in the kitchen, especially the kids. It's a better chance that the troops will eat the food, especially the kids.
- Consider subscribing to a keto food preparation service, like that provided by Territory Foods, to take the effort out of mealtime, especially during these hectic times with everyone hunkered down together at home.
Also, here are some brands to check out that offer tasty, low-carb, high-fat dietary options:
- Catalina Crunch Cereal
- Keto and Co.
- Justin's Nut Butters- unsweetened (perfect for making pb&j sandwiches with sugar-free jam for the kiddos!)
- Chomps Grass-fed Beef Jerky
- Just the Cheese Bars
- Miracle Noodles
- HighKey Instant Hot Cereal | HighKey Cold Cereal (we love the Fruity flavor, it's like Fruity Pebbles cereal)
- Primal Kitchen Avocado Oil 3-Pack Vinaigrette Dressing & Marinade
- Wild Planet (canned tuna and mackerel are perfect for making savory fish cakes on a budget)
- Cali'flour Foods Cauliflower Pizza Crusts (perfect for a quick and easy meal on pizza night)
- 4505 Meats
- Konscious Keto Shake (Strawberry Cheesecake, Banana Creme Brûlée, or Creamy Chocolate)
- Moon Cheese
- Keto Cups
- Olives to Go
- Epic Jerky Bars
- Think Keto Protein Bar
- Fat Snax
- Organic Seaweed Snacks Sea Salt (Annie Chun's)
- Julian Bakery Keto Thin Bread
- Smart Sweets
- Lily’s Chocolate Bars
- Keto Thin Granola by Julian Bakery
- Dang Keto Bar
- Magic Spoon Cereal
- Kettle & Fire Bone Broth Soup
Replacing sugar in keto confections is essential, especially in a mixed dietary household with kiddos or anyone with a sweet tooth creeping into the cookie jar more than usual.
Fortunately, there is a wide variety of keto-friendly sugar alternatives to incorporate into an endless amount of recipes. Here are some of our favorite sugar alternatives that are perfect for anyone on keto:
- Lakanto (classic, golden, "maple syrup" or liquid monk fruit drops)
- Swerve (granular, brown or confectioners)
- Whole Foods 365 Stevia (granular or liquid)
- Whole Earth 100% Erythritol Zero Calorie Sweetener
- Lakanto Simple Syrup
- Sweet Leaf Stevia
- Sukrin (Sukrin gold, 1:1 Granular, Sukrin Syrup Gold, Sukrin Maple Syrup)
Also, there are many venues in-person and online that offer an abundance of keto-friendly foods and drinks worth mentioning. Here are some food outlets to browse for current keto faves and new food offerings alike:
- Thrive Market
- Whole Foods
- Trader Joe's
Plus, in addition to loads of keto-friendly ingredients, there are also a ton of appliances at our disposal. From air fryers to your handy Vitamix that you can use to whip up everything from creamy ice cream to silky nut-based cheeses, there are many choices.
In addition to aiding in the making of a restaurant-worthy rotisserie chicken, tools like an air fryer can facilitate making chicken tenders or mozzarella sticks while sparing the kids a lot of extra calories. Plus, adults love these noted finger foods, as well, quiet as kept.
Here are some other kitchen appliances that we love because they make our cooking experiences feel like a breeze:
- The Instant Pot: From brewing homemade bone broth to whipping up some savory chili, this gadget is essential for anyone eating a keto diet. Plus, the ability to toss ingredients in the pot, set the unit, and walk away is super helpful.
- Milk Frother: Using an MCT-infused keto powdered creamer, or whipping up your take on a keto coffee makes this tiny tool especially vital; because, let’s face it, no one wants creamer chunks in their morning wake-up brew.
- Cast Iron Skillet: It's great if you receive a well-seasoned cast iron pan from a relative, but it's worth buying one new if you're eating a keto diet. An excellent pan will last a lifetime and conduct heat thoroughly and evenly.
- Veggie Spiralizer: This tool can provide an entertaining cooking experience that your kids will love. Spiralize some zoodles (a.k.a., zucchini noodles) or experiment with other similar veggies and top it with Rao's sauce and a dash of parmesan for a quick and easy meal.
- Burger Press: If uniform food and esthetics make you smile or you'd just prefer not to handle raw meat, this burger press is an excellent tool. The press is also a favorite with the kids, like a Play-Doh press!
- Silicone Mats: From fathead pizzas to making a sheet of warm ooey-gooey keto cookies, a set of silicone mats is one of those must-have items in any low-carb kitchen.
- Silicone Muffin Liners & Baking Pans: While the various sizes of silicone muffin pans can come in handy when making sugar-free muffins, they are also helpful for making amazing fat bombs.
In addition to the appliances and tools mentioned, other items like mason jars are fantastic to keep on-hand to store pantry items with an air-tight seal for extended freshness.
Keep your meals simple and cut yourself some slack if you let the kids eat keto cupcakes for breakfast on occassion. We're living in times of sufficiency rather than perfection. Don't worry; this is a judgment-free zone, and we can all relate.
Also, consider implementing some level of meal prep each week to simplify your mealtime experience. Remember, keto casseroles are great options to make ahead and freeze, so you've always got low-carb meal options ready.
Plus, many people who've experienced weight loss in the Konscious Keto community credit using a personalized keto meal plan, explicitly targeting weight loss in consideration of your individual needs and preferences, as a key to their excellent results.
Click here to take our 30-second keto meal plan quiz to access your personalized keto meal plan for weight loss instantly!
You may not win every battle with the little ones, your spouse, or your extended family living at home; not every meal option may suit their tastes.
But more than focusing on having the family eat specific recipes, make the converted meals your family already likes—based on their pre-keto favorites—and add on new choices as they are willing to broaden their culinary horizons.
Whether your goal is continued weight loss or just maintaining your weight and not gaining while likely homebound, you can achieve your health goals even during these unprecedented times by following a well-designed ketogenic diet.
Join us online in our private (Konscious Keto) Facebook group for keto recipes, tips, and community support along your keto journey. Whether you are cooking just for yourself or trying to convert the entire family, we're here for you every step of the way.
- Rubenstein, J. E., & Vining, E. P. (2004). Efficacy of the Ketogenic Diet. Epilepsy and the Ketogenic Diet, 95-102. doi:10.1007/978-1-59259-808-3_6
- Sperling, M. R., & Nei, M. (2004). The Ketogenic Diet in Adults. Epilepsy and the Ketogenic Diet, 103-109. doi:10.1007/978-1-59259-808-3_7
- Boschert, S. (2007). Low-Carb Better Than Low-Fat Diet for Lipids. Family Practice News, 37(3), 11. doi:10.1016/s0300-7073(07)70131-7
- Slomski, A. (2019). Low-Carb Diets Help Maintain Weight Loss. Jama, 321(4), 335. doi:10.1001/jama.2018.22031