This Impossibly Keto BBQ Chicken is the perfect combination of sweet and spicy and would be a delicious addition to any Summer BBQ, or any time of year!
We know how difficult it can be to find a keto approved BBQ sauce at the grocery store. Low carb options are loaded with artificial sweeteners, so we created this all natural keto BBQ sauce from scratch.
Begin by marinating the chicken in a mixture of lemon juice, garlic cloves, olive oil, and smoked paprika. If you can’t find smoked paprika, regular is fine. This makes the chicken flavorful and tender.
We suggest marinating the chicken for 1-2 hours in the refrigerator. There is no need to marinade overnight. The lemon juice can start to toughen the texture of the chicken if it sits too long.
While the chicken marinades, you can start your sauce. Everyone’s taste is a little different when it comes to keto BBQ sauce, so don’t hesitate to adjust the amount of liquid smoke and stevia.
A little goes a long way with both of these ingredients, so add slowly to get your perfect blend of sweet and smokey. If you would prefer to use another keto friendly sweetener, such as Swerve, omit the stevia and replace with about ¼ cup of Swerve.
If you want to kick it up a notch, add a little of your favorite hot sauce, Sriracha works wonderfully!
We started this as an oven recipe, however, it is fabulous on the grill! Grill the chicken pieces for about 15 minutes each side, or until no longer pink and juices run clear.
Our keto BBQ sauce will store in mason jars in the refrigerator for about 2 weeks. It is also delicious on baby back ribs and pork chops!
Serving size: 2 pieces of chicken, 2 tbsp sauce
Prep time: 1 hr 15 min (includes 1 hr marinade time)
Cook time: 45-55 min
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 10 pieces of bone-in chicken (legs, breasts, thighs, or combination)
- Combine 2 tbsp lemon juice, 2 tsp smoked paprika, 3 minced garlic cloves, and 4 tbsp olive oil.
- Marinade the chicken pieces in the mixture for at least 1 hour in the fridge.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper and bake for 25 minutes in a 350°F oven.
For the Sauce:
- 15 oz canned tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 4 tbsp Worcestershire sauce with no added sugar
- 3 tbsp mustard
- 1/2 tsp liquid Stevia to taste
- 2 tbsp liquid smoke
- 2 tbsp sea salt
- 4 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Combine all ingredients in medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce to a simmer for 30 minutes. Taste sauce and adjust Stevia for sweetness and liquid smoke for smokiness, if necessary.
- Remove chicken from oven, brush with sauce. Return to oven for 10 minutes. Remove chicken again, flip over, brush with sauce. Return to oven for 10 minutes. Remove chicken, flip back. Brush with more sauce and finish in oven for 5 minutes or until fully cooked.
- For a spicy sauce, add sriracha or hot sauce of choice.