30 min EASY - Makes 1 serving
Enjoy this classic bistro favorite at home with this amazing Weekend Eggs Benedict recipe! This recipe features sauteed asparagus, crispy bacon, poached eggs, and silky hollandaise sauce for a nutritious and delicious breakfast option. Trust us, you won’t even miss the English muffin!
For the Eggs Benedict:
2 slices thick slices of bacon
8 asparagus spears, trimmed
Salt & pepper, to taste
For the Hollandaise Sauce:
1 egg yolk
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
2 1/2 tbsp butter or ghee, melted
Salt & pepper, to taste
Optional: a pinch of cayenne pepper
- Begin by making the hollandaise sauce. Fill a small saucepan with about an inch of water and bring to a boil. Find a heatproof bowl that will fit over the saucepan without falling in to create a double boiler.
- Off the heat, whisk the egg yolk, and lemon juice in the heatproof bowl.
- Reduce the heat of the boiling water to medium-low. Place the bowl with the egg yolk over the saucepan. Whisk the egg yolk for about 3 minutes or until frothy. Remove the bowl from the heat and slowly whisk in the melted butter or ghee. Whisk in the salt, pepper, and cayenne (if using). Place a piece of plastic wrap directly on the sauce to cover it and place the bowl in a larger bowl of warm water to keep the sauce warm while you make the rest of the dish.
- Cook the bacon to your preference in a skillet over medium heat. Remove the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate and reserve the grease in the skillet.
- Add the asparagus to the bacon grease, season with salt and pepper and saute until tender, about 5-8 minutes. When done, remove from heat and keep warm in the skillet.
- Meanwhile, poach the eggs. Add about 2 inches of water to a shallow saucepan. Bring the water to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Crack one egg into a cup or bowl and gently slide it into the simmering water. Repeat with the other egg. Cook the eggs until the whites are set but the yolks remain soft- 2-4 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to carefully remove eggs to the paper towel-lined plate.
- Build your Eggs Benedict: Place the asparagus on a plate. Tear the bacon strips in half and lay them on top of the asparagus. Place the poached eggs on top of the bacon. Drizzle with hollandaise sauce and enjoy!
Feel free to use another meat in place of bacon, such as ham, steak, or sausage patties. If you don’t like poached eggs, feel free to substitute any style you prefer.