Ice cream is likely the nation's favorite celebratory comfort food: It's the centerpiece at birthdays, fairs, and festivals—even the fried variety! But once we become conscious of counting carbs and calories, we need to select our frozen desserts with greater discernment.
Overt and hidden sugars and artificial sweeteners are apparent items to avoid. Still, aside from keeping an eye on sugar content, sourcing ice cream with premium ingredients, silky texture, and optimal taste may require a bit of trial and error to identify your top picks.
Hailing one brand as the winner above their contemporary frontrunners is subjective and often primarily based on personal preferences, but we'd like to share some of our favorites to give you a formidable head start.
We love everything from classic vanilla creamy iced concoctions to more decadent takes like Halo Top's Jelly Belly or Nick's creamy peanut butter cup; there are fantastic options along a spectrum of decadence that are all keto-friendly.
Keto Friendly Ice Cream
Killer Creamery: If their introduction of keto-friendly sammies wasn't impressive enough, their line of creatively-named flavors like Caramels Back, Jam Session, or Brownie Points offer an array of satisfying sweet options with macros perfect for the keto conscious eater.
These pints are sweetened with a blend of monk fruit, erythritol, and allulose to create a taste with an incredible likeness to cane sugar. Plus, the cream is the first ingredient, and the remaining list is relatively short and sweet.
However, it's important to note that some of their blends contain almond flour—a less common ingredient in ice cream—although the flavor may not initially indicate they have nuts in the recipe. Be advised if you have a sensitivity or trouble digesting nuts.
Halo Top: Although not new to the keto community, it has launched selections explicitly created for the dieter looking to curtail carbs and sugars.
Enjoy their newer flavors like keto Peanut Butter Chocolate, White Chocolate Macadamia, or Banana Cream Pie. Plus, their ice cream pops are the perfect treat and come in flavors like Berry Swirl and Sea Salt Caramel for the ideal option for parties or when you want a portable treat.
Plus, at only a couple of net carbs for each pop, they're a snack that won't put much of a dent in your macro budget but will have a significant payoff to satisfy your sweet tooth without the guilt or weight-loss setbacks.
Nick's Ice Cream: Finding a creamy sugar-free ice cream option may seem like an elusive goal. But Nick's Ice Cream has created a silky and rich selection that's every bit as indulgent as its sugar-laden counterparts.
Plus, every day can start feeling like a special occasion with festive flavors like Birthday Cake, Butter Pekan, or Strawbār Swirl. And, with a modest average caloric impact of about 250 calories per pint, you can have the whole thing to yourself if you're having that kind of day.
Rebel Creamery: Classic favorites like Cookie Dough, Orange Cream, and Cherry Chip are unique offerings providing a broader range of flavors to enjoy while keeping carbs low.
Plus, Rebel is another forward-thinking brand that's added ice cream sandwiches to their catalog in Chocolate Chip Vanilla, Chocolate Mint, and Double Peanut Butter—for a selection of keto ice cream sammie treats that colors outside of the classic lines of basic chocolate and vanilla varieties.
Plus, like Killer Creamery, the brand ships cases of their frozen dreamy goodness to your doorstep nationwide! So, you can indulge in some of the best that the low-carb frozen dessert market has to offer, even if the brand isn’t sold in stores in your local area.
Enlightened: The brand has always had an eye on limiting calories in their pints, but they have taken notice of the demand and released a keto-friendly ice cream line catering specifically to the low-carb, high-fat dieter.
They've tailored their line of luscious desserts to provide authentic scoop shop flavor and texture right in your local market's freezer! Plus, with 1g net carbohydrate per serving, selections like Keto Peppermint Brownie and Keto Pumpkin Cheesecake available just in time for fall, you're sure to find a flavor that's binge-worthy.
Plus, Enlightened makes decadent cookie dough bites in Snickerdoodle and Peanut Butter Cookie Dough that pairs perfectly atop a scoop of any of their creamy iced options.
Also, if you love a tasty ice cream bar as your treat of choice, you can enjoy flavors like Marshmallow Peanut Butter, Mint Chip, Dark Chocolate, or Vanilla Double Dough—YUM!
Besides, with craving-worthy flavors like Keto Chocolate Glazed Donut, Coffee Chocolate Chunk, or Keto Red Velvety, you virtually eliminate any desire to cheat on your commitment to quit sugar!
Keto Pint: Cake Batter, Black Raspberry, and Peanut Butter Fudge Swirl were enough to pique our interest, and this line of sugar-free creamy creations doesn't disappoint.
Plus, their decadent options like Peanut Butter Cup are soy-free, contain zero sugar, are gluten-free, and are exclusively made using rBST-free milk.
Besides, who doesn't love a strawberry, chocolate, or mint chip chocolate-covered ice cream bar—it's a universal crowd-pleaser, and Keto Pint has tossed that hat in the ring with a yummy option worth trying.
Simple Truth Keto Ice Cream: The shortlist of pretty simple ingredients in the Simple Truth ice cream line is refreshing.
You can sample these treats in Keto Coffee French Ice Cream, Black Raspberry Chip, or Butter Pecan French Ice Cream to add variety to your low-carb dessert cache that will cost you around a mere 9 grams of net carbs per pint.
Mammoth Creamery: Boasting bodacious creamy texture and the least net carbs of any ice cream—bar none—this brand is one to watch and enjoy! Plus, the line is free of gluten, uses grass-fed butter, and contains rBST-free dairy.
The family-owned brand prides itself on using premium, whole foods ingredients in their creamy custards without the unwanted carbs or sugars. Plus, their flavors like Lemon Buttercream and Butter Coffee offer unique and exciting flavors to take your selections beyond the binary chocolate or vanilla.
Two Spoons: If you're looking for bold flavors, creamy pints of pleasure, and the convenience of having your selection delivered to your door, you may want to consider Two Spoons.
The brand's indulgent flavors like Rocky Road, Caramel Swirl, and Strawberries & Cream offer an innovative and tasty take on low-carb ice cream that's a perfect match for the mindful keto dieter.
Plus, with pints totaling about 7g net carbs per each, this variety of ice cream is perfect for those binge-worthy weekends when you want to curl up and enjoy a carton of dreamy goodness—unapologetically—as a party of one.
Plus, it's relatively simple and enjoyable to make keto-friendly ice cream at home using an electric ice cream maker or a simple mason jar. So whether you decide to use heavy whipping cream—or coconut cream for a dairy-free option—add some of the following enhancements to create the frozen treat of your dreams:
- Slivered almonds
- Pistachios (raw)
- Crumble some Catalina Crunch chocolate or vanilla-filling cookies into your homemade keto ice cream for a treat that stands up to any store-bought option—especially since you can decide how decadent you want to make it.
Plus, Catalina Crunch offers a vanilla cream sandwich cookie for those that prefer that option. And a tasty low-carb vanilla sandwich cookie is a fantastic addition to a birthday cake-style ice cream cup.
- Hu Grain-free offers a mini, crunchy, chocolate chip cookie that's dairy and grain-free, with zero sugar alcohols or refined starches. Make mini ice cream sammie poppers and freeze them to enjoy at will during the week.
- There are also keto cookie baking mixes, like Kalifornia Keto, that you could whip up quickly at home to eat on their own or incorporate into your favorite low-carb base ice cream for an ultra-rich selection.
- Better Bears has set out to deliver a healthier, vegan alternative to the classic gummy bear that's perfect for dotting atop a sundae, especially when the entire bag serving comes in at 6g net carbs!
- Rev up your basic frozen creamy custard with the addition of some "maple" candied pecans or Butter Toffee Peanuts from Keto Farms when next checking out at Thrive Market; they truly elevate any delicious dessert.
- Lily’s offers a variety of sugar-free chocolate bars, chips, peanut butter cups, and chocolate covered nuts to jazz up any keto sundae or homemade ice cream.
- Choc Zero offers delicious sauces, like chocolate and caramel syrups to put the finishing touches on your ice cream creations.
- Lakanto’s keto-friendly maple flavored syrup is not just for pancakes, as it pairs perfectly with vanilla ice cream, as well.
- Nu Naturals offers various flavored syrups, including a pumpkin spice flavor for fall.
- Good Dee's makes a delightful rainbow sprinkle option reminiscent of the classic variety at your local ice cream shop. Add the pastel poppers atop a scoop of classic vanilla for a trip down memory lane.
- People's Keto chocolate or rainbow sprinkles are the perfect accents to your preferred keto-friendly ice cream selection, as well. Plus, the brand is easy to access online and get it shipped to your door.
- Sprinkees is a brand that's proud to be diabetic-friendly, contains 1g net carbs per serving, and is colored with plant-based foods like turmeric, paprika, and vegetable juice.
Unsweetened Coconut Flakes (raw or toasted)
Whether you opt to use flakes or shreds, adding unsweetened toasted coconut to your ice cream creation adds a unique texture and flavor you’re likely to enjoy—along with the addition of a dose of healthy fats.
Plus, it's wise to top your ice cream with raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, or blackberries for an added touch of nutrients to combat oxidative stress while you indulge your sweet tooth.
Konscious Keto Sweets
Plus, we share several sweet treat recipes that are free of sugars, or artificial sweeteners, and loaded with healthy fats and premium protein. Here are a few fabulous confections to make and have ready for dessert—or any time of day that calls for a sweet sabbatical:
- Make a yummy batch of chocolate and peanut butter brownies to pair with a hearty scoop of ice cream or to crumble over a loaded sundae.
- Check out our fabulous keto cookie recipes, including peanut butter and classic chocolate chip- to make the perfect ice cream sandwich.
- Keto almond cake is a fantastic treat to make and enjoy throughout the week. It's so versatile that you can couple it with a warm cup of tea or a chilled scoop of low-carb vanilla bean with a sprinkling of unsweetened toasted coconut.
There's no need to abandon your love of ice cream when you decide to turn away from overt sugars and simple carbs. Many brands are committed to delivering sugar-free frozen desserts for those of us dedicated to living a sugar-free life—made sweeter daily by the variety of our current options.
Whether you grab a keto-friendly pint in local stores nationwide, opt to experiment with brands accessible online, or try your hand at homemade ice cream recipes popping up in your online feeds on various platforms: you're winning!
Living a sugar-free life is sweet for many reasons. Eliminating sugar and drastically reducing carbs is a fantastic way to reset our appetite and get cravings under control. And a return to intuitively eating changes your relationship with food, making weight loss a beautiful journey of discovery instead of a chore.
Fortunately, we can have our keto ice cream and eat it too—and often—with the selection of options curated with the keto dieter in mind. We can have it all with minor tweaks and making choices that better serve our bodies.
- Arbuckle, W. S. (1986). Energy value and nutrients of Ice Cream. Ice Cream, 9–18. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4615-7222-0_2
- Arbuckle, W. S. (1986). Ice cream ingredients. Ice Cream, 49–83. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4615-7222-0_5
- Marshall, R. T., & Arbuckle, W. S. (2000). Ice cream ingredients. Ice Cream, 45–70. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4613-0477-7_5