There's little in the way of food that would ever be inaccessible for many in America.
Before a few months ago, the idea of dropping in on your favorite cheese shop or specialty fare purveyor would be commonplace in everyday life, especially if you live in a big and bustling city.
However, supermarket shelves in your area may appear stark at this time—especially at the butcher's corner—and you may find your favorite brands of other foods sold out when venturing into your community to do your grocery shopping throughout the week.
Limited access to certain foods, and especially meat, may seem problematic if you're interested in following a low-carb, high-fat, ketogenic diet. However, there are many meatless meal options to enjoy when limiting carbs from the diet—without missing a beat.
Even if you still include meat, or other animal products, in your diet, companies like Impossible Foods or Beyond Meat products are options that some choose to include in their meal plan to reduce the amount of meat consumed while still enjoying traditionally meaty meals.
So, if you prefer a meatless diet entirely or want to add more variety to your keto menu that includes meat, we'll share some veggie-filled, low-carb entrées to sample and enjoy, all while keeping it keto, below.
From meals to break the fast, to any other dish: salt, spices, fat, and seasonings can elevate any properly-paired ingredients to new heights—with or without the meat.
The days of meat-free diets that consist of strictly tofu, veggies, and fruit are long gone. There are many meat substitutes on the market that you can add to your meal plan to mimick everything from ground beef and sausage to chicken drumsticks and vegan shrimp—an option to replicate virtually any commonly meat-laced recipe.
Some people have opted to limit or eliminate their meat consumption for many reasons. From health-related reasons to those mindful of how eating meat impacts one's carbon footprint—a significant portion of the US population has decided to go plant-based and still keep carbs low.
Here are some delicious, meatless, keto-friendly recipes that are full of flavor (feel free to eat the meals below at any time of day #ketolife:
- Keto Bagel with Full-fat Cream Cheese
- Almond Flour Waffles
- No-Bake Chocolate "Oat" Bars
- Keto Slim Shake (chocolate, strawberry cheesecake, or banana crème brûlée)
- Too Good to be True (Everything) Keto Bagels
- Keto Cereal
- Triple Berry Smoothie
- Baked Egg Avocado Boats
- Avocado Toast (with Keto Bread)
- Tofu Scramble with Vegan Keto-friendly Sausage or Bacon
- Instant Pot Vegetarian Frittata
- Cannoli Stuffed Crêpes
- Vegetarian 3 Cheese Quiche
- Stuffed Peppers
- Asparagus and Tomato Frittata with Havarti and Dill
- Spinach and Artichoke Egg Casserole
- Low-Carb Breakfast Egg Muffins
- Low-Carb Cream Cheese Pancakes
- Berry and Greens Smoothie Bowl
- Avocado Smoothie
- Crustless Broccoli & Cheddar Quiche
- Low-carb Zucchini Fritters
- Keto Cinnamon Rolls
- Almond Flour Keto Blueberry Bread
- Pan-Roasted Portobello Egg Toast
- Keto Buttermilk Pancakes
- Cauliflower Fritters (Like Hash Browns!)
- Keto Breakfast Brownie Muffins
- Tomato Basil and Mozzarella Galette
- Vegan Keto Porridge
- Lemon Raspberry Sweet Rolls
- Keto Mushroom Omelet
- Keto Caprese Omelet
- Keto Goat Cheese and Mushroom Frittata
- Vanilla Keto Overnight “Oats”
- Amazingly KETO Acai Bowl
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Keto Shake
- Cheesy Spinach Keto Puffs
- Strawberry Ricotta Pancakes
- Keto Pumpkin Walnut Bread
- Crunchtastic Keto Granola
- Konscious Keto Strawberry Chia Smoothie
- Keto Shamrock Shake
- Triple Berries and Cream Keto Smoothie
- Cinnamon Roll Chaffles
- Veggie Breakfast Biscuit
- Vegetarian Keto Breakfast Casserole
- Eggs and Vegetables Fried in Coconut Oil
- Spinach, Mushroom, and Feta Crustless Quiche
- Paleo (Vegan) Sausage Egg ‘McMuffin’
- Coconut Chia Pudding
- Keto Pasta with Alfredo Sauce
- Keto Grilled Veggie Plate (e.g., Fire-roasted Red Bell Peppers, Zucchini, Eggplant, etc.)
- Low-carb Cauliflower Mash
- Keto Coleslaw
- Turnip Gratin
- Low-Carb Broccoli and Cheese Fritters
- Low-Carb Mushroom Risotto with Cauliflower Rice
- Parmesan-coated Cauliflower Steak
- Spinach and Zucchini Lasagna
- Creamy and Keto Broccoli and Cheese Soup
- Bang Bang Shrimp Keto Style
- 4 Cheese Pesto Zoodles
- Keto Savory Pie with Zucchini
- Creamy Keto Pumpkin Soup
- Cauliflower Crust Grilled Cheese with Creamed Tomato Soup
- Low-carb Broccoli and Cheesy Cauliflower Rice
- Keto Fettuccini Alfredo
- Classic Egg Salad
- Zucchini and Ricotta Tart
- Vegetarian Keto Club Salad
- Stuffed Bell Peppers
- Portobello Mushroom Parmesan Melt
- Mediterranean Roasted Cabbage Steaks with Basil Pesto and Feta
- Low-Carb Eggplant Lasagna
- Keto Garlic "Gnocchi"
- Keto-friendly Mac & Cheese (use cauliflower or a low-carb pasta of choice)
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Walnuts and Gorgonzola
- Cheesy Vegetarian Spaghetti Squash Casserole
- Zucchini Pasta with Creamy Avocado Pesto
- Crispy Roasted Gnocchi with Garlic Mushrooms
- Vegan Lentil Loaf (meatloaf alternative)
- Teriyaki Grilled Eggplant
- Stir-fry Cauliflower Rice
- Zucchini Rollatini
- Avocado Caprese Salad
- Low-carb Zucchini Fritters
- Zucchini Noodles Alfredo
- Creamy Pumpkin Soup
- Low-carb Vegan Dinner Bowl (e.g., veggies, nuts, seeds, cheese, dressing, et al.)
- Broccoli and Cheese Crustless Quiche
- Lasagna Stuffed Portabello Mushrooms
- Cauliflower Crust Grilled Cheese
- Mini Cauliflower Pizza with Greek Yogurt Pesto
- Cheesy Cauliflower Breadsticks
- Tofu "Chicken" Nuggets with Sriracha Mayo
- Southwest Tofu Scramble
- Tempeh Burrito Bowls
- Crunchy Almond Asparagus Fries
- Cucumber Greek Salad
- Garlic Roasted Mushrooms
- Asparagus and Avocado Salad
- Keto Mediterranean Salad
- Mushroom and Spinach Cauliflower Rice
- Indian Butter-styled Cauliflower
- Keto Vegetarian Taco Casserole
Desserts and Fat Bombs
- Triple Berries and Cream Keto Smoothie
- Dippin' Keto Strawberries
- Keto German Chocolate Cake
- Super Creamy Strawberry Fat Bombs
- Keto Cheesecake Fat Bombs
- Keto Almond Cake (Fat Bomb)
- Keto Cookies
- Ultimate Chocolate PB Cheesecake Fat Bombs
- Konscious Keto Chocolate Peanut Butter Brownies
- Keto Chocolate Soufflé
- Keto Vanilla Cupcakes & Buttercream Icing
- Mini Keto Velvet Cheesecake
- Avocado Keto Chocolate Puddling
- Keto Pumpkin Pie
- 1-Minute Konscious Keto Strawberry Shortcake
- Irresistible Keto Molten Chocolate Lava Cake
- Irresistibly Fudgy Keto Brownies
- Love My Lemon Keto Pound Cake
Even if you aren’t vegetarian, but are just looking to implement a keto-safe Meatless Monday, or are looking for more keto vegetable side dishes, you’ll find so many delicious and healthy choices in the collection of ideas shared in this article!
Also, feel free to experiment. Mix-and-match ingredients to come up with original keto meat-free recipes to expand your low-carb, high-fat, plant-based diet.
Many plant-based ingredients are low on the glycemic scale. Here are some foods to incorporate in your meal plan while eliminating meat and most carbs:
- Green Beans
- Bell Peppers
- Collard Greens
- Mustard Greens
- White Onion
- Spaghetti Squash
- Hearts of Palm
- Lemons and Limes
- Star Fruit
In addition to knowing about many plant-based keto foods to eat, it's also a good idea to consider a customized keto meal plan. Many members of the Konscious Keto community have found success incorporating our recipes into their regimen. But none so much as those who opt to follow a personalized keto weight loss meal plan.
Check out our 30-second meal plan quiz to access your tailored keto meal plan and stop buy to hang out with the Konscious Keto Community on Facebook for added encouragement and support along your keto journey.
Eating a meatless ketogenic diet offers a wide variety of culinary options to enjoy. And the strictly meat-based conception some have about keto is false. It's possible to thrive on a plant-based ketogenic diet.
Although some will include meat in their keto diet, it is entirely possible to enjoy the ketogenic lifestyle without meat. Besides, there have never been more meat or dairy replacements in stores than there are today.
Beef replacements and sausage replacements made by companies like Beyond Meat and Impossible Foods allow for more variety in your meatless keto meal plan—without feeling like you've given up anything.
Plus, there are even egg alternatives, like that made by Bob's Red Mill, in powder form, or Just Egg, a liquid egg replacement, that can assist in your baking and specific savory low-carb recipes.
Whether you just want to shake things up a bit, are making dietary changes because of limited access to meat-based foods at this time, the options are still tasty and plentiful.
Poke around in your hardcover cookbooks, check out recipes on YouTube, and Pinterest is always an excellent source of keto-friendly inspiration. These resources and will undoubtedly provide a plethora of additional plant-based and low-carb recipes to try to maintain variety in your diet and provide satiety for those eating a low-carb, high-fat, ketogenic diet.
- Getting Adequate Calories From a Plant-Based Diet. (2020). Plant-Based Sports Nutrition
- Kang, H., & Dillon, K. (2018). Plant-based diet as a means to prevent and treat chronic disease. Health Science Inquiry,
- Davies, D. (1972). The Influences Of A Meat And Vegetable Type Diet Compared. The Influence of Teeth, Diet, and Habits on the Human Face,
- Ketogenic Diet and Metabolic Therapies. (2016). Oxford Medicine Online
- Low-Carb Diet Beats Low-Fat for HDL-Cholesterol Levels. (2010). SciVee
- El-Mallakh, R. S. (2004). Potential Applications of the Ketogenic Diet in Disorders Other Than Epilepsy. Epilepsy and the Ketogenic Diet,
- Bharucha, B. (2019). Keto is the Hottest Weight Loss Trend this Year! Acta Scientific Nutritional Health,